March 7th 2022 Whether to launch is all about the weather

We can’t seem to get a break. Since February 8th we’ve been looking for a good day to launch. On February 8th we launched KC9RP/3 which flew for 27 hours. On February 28th we launched KC9RP/4 which went about 200 yards and transmitted for two days from a tree. We were hoping to get a balloon up tomorrow but the weather just isn’t cooperating. We only have a few sunny days in the next couple of weeks and with these sunny days we have wind gust up to 55 miles per hour. What we do have is a great Technical team with John KD9THB who is able to give us our launch window up to 3 days in advance. John told us our best opportunity for launch was between 7am and 8am tomorrow March 8th. We have a saying here in Chicago, if you don’t like the weather wait 15 minutes. Although that works well if you’re planning a walk but with the hour or so it takes to get a balloon or two ready before a launch makes it really difficult to plan. In like a lion and out like a lamb, March 20th is the first day of Spring, looking for better days.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s